Archive | March, 2013

St. Patrick’s Day Cambie

17 Mar

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I finally got around to making a “real” dress! 🙂 I bought this green dotted swiss on sale at Hancock’s over a year ago and I’m so glad it’s finally made up into something. This is also my first time doing a FBA, which turned out pretty well all things considered. I’d like to make this dress again (maybe in the less “poofy” skirt) and address a few niggling issues: The waist is too big and there are drag lines from the bust diagonally towards the side seams. Other than that, I’m really happy with how it turned out.

With a belt.

With a belt.

Poofy skirt

Poofy skirt

The back fits! Hallelujah!

The back fits! Hallelujah!

The original bodice front pattern piece and mine after the FBA

The original bodice front pattern piece and mine after the FBA

Pattern: Sewaholic Cambie

Changes I made:

  • A rather large FBA which added a side seam bust dart.
  • Raised the neckline about an inch in the front.
  • Shortened the sleeves.
  • Rather than a full gathered lining in the skirt, I cut 10″ off each skirt panel and pleated it to the waistband. I felt it was poofy enough without any extra help!