Past Patterns: Lewis & Clark Empire Gown

11 Jun

I have made this pattern three times and it’s wonderful. It’s easy to fit due to the drawstring front and I love the small triangle back.

The first one is a green reproduction print on a quilting weight cotton. It’s perhaps a bit heavy, but it wears well. I was unsure how the back was supposed to be sewn and did it slightly different but it turned out okay.


The second one is made out of a shirting fabric and I gathered the back of the skirt instead of pleating because I didn’t want it to be obvious if I got off with the stripes. 🙂 The net lace is a vintage find from etsy that works beautifully as a tucker.


The last one is made from a silk cotton from Mood. Unfortunately, I only got one wear out of it as it shrunk horribly even though I washed it on cold. *sigh*


2 Responses to “Past Patterns: Lewis & Clark Empire Gown”

  1. Tracey Walker June 11, 2015 at 10:34 pm #

    Beautiful. I’m about the same size as you and I’ve been intimidated to make a regency dress because I haven’t found a flattering pattern. I really like how this looks on you. Did you have to tweak the pattern at all, or did it fit as is from the pattern?

    • erin13mc June 11, 2015 at 11:52 pm #

      Thank you! This pattern comes with A-D “cup” size fronts which helps a lot with fitting different size busts. While they don’t necessarily correspond with bra cup size they at least give you options and allow you a wider range of fits. They unfortunately don’t have different size charts for the different cup sizes so it’s a bit of a guessing game, but I suppose that’s what mockups/muslins are for. My advice: 1. Long stays with a wood busk are a necessity for larger busts. 2. Make sure the “waist” is completely under the bust to avoid looking pregnant. 3. Concentrate the gathers in the center front and center back and leave the sides smooth to elongate the figure.

      This pattern is a good one to start Regency with as the drawstring makes it fairly adjustable, but my most recent one is the Laughing Moon bib front gown and that went together very easily as well. It doesn’t have different “cup” sizes, but I used the same idea to adjust my pattern for the one I’m currently working on.

      Best of luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: