Archive | Non-historic RSS feed for this section

Girl’s Dirndl

8 Jul

Several months ago, my youngest sister was in a concert at church where she was required to wear a costume representing a country. I talked her into wearing a dirndl as an excuse to make one but I let her choose the color.

Jenna's Dirndl

Dirndl Pattern

The pattern I used was a German edition of Simplicity 4566 from the 1970s and funny enough, the ribbon trim I used was also from the 1970s, at least according to the etsy seller. The fabric is all from the quilting cotton section at my local chain fabric store. I chose to interline and line the bodice instead of use the facings in the pattern. I have several vintage dirndls, and all of them are very stiff in the bodice and completely lined in contrasting fabric. The idea is the bodice should be very snug, and keep everything in (so to speak). I wasn’t too worried about that part, since I was making this for a girl, but I wanted it to be as authentic as possible. The only thing I would do differently is the apron ties. They ended up being very skinny, and I wished I’d made them wider.

St. Patrick’s Day Cambie

17 Mar

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

I finally got around to making a “real” dress! 🙂 I bought this green dotted swiss on sale at Hancock’s over a year ago and I’m so glad it’s finally made up into something. This is also my first time doing a FBA, which turned out pretty well all things considered. I’d like to make this dress again (maybe in the less “poofy” skirt) and address a few niggling issues: The waist is too big and there are drag lines from the bust diagonally towards the side seams. Other than that, I’m really happy with how it turned out.

With a belt.

With a belt.

Poofy skirt

Poofy skirt

The back fits! Hallelujah!

The back fits! Hallelujah!

The original bodice front pattern piece and mine after the FBA

The original bodice front pattern piece and mine after the FBA

Pattern: Sewaholic Cambie

Changes I made:

  • A rather large FBA which added a side seam bust dart.
  • Raised the neckline about an inch in the front.
  • Shortened the sleeves.
  • Rather than a full gathered lining in the skirt, I cut 10″ off each skirt panel and pleated it to the waistband. I felt it was poofy enough without any extra help!