Tag Archives: antique

Edwardian Blouse & Skirt

10 Jul

8730788991_72c898e6cf_o

8730791273_680f1e09cb_o
Back on May 11th, a group of us from the costumer’s guild rode a vintage train from Grapevine to the Stockyards in Fort Worth for the Frontier Fort Days. As cool as that event is, we really just used it as an excuse to dress up. I decided to make up a blouse, skirt, and belt using the 1905 Circular Skirt, 1903 Plain Blousewaist, and Edwardian Dip-Waist Belt from Truly Victorian. As I was pressed for time, I didn’t do a muslin for the patterns (tsk tsk), so I was very thankful that it all worked out in the end. As usual, I used a smaller pattern piece for the back of the blouse and took off quite a bit of the shoulder width. The good thing about this style is that it’s way more forgiving than a fitted bodice, which is why I chose it. Also, I had to make do with my ill-fitting victorian corset by just lacing it a bit looser around the top. ( I have GOT to get over my corset-making phobia)

8731919446_5585bd6b14_o

8731915826_820787dd79_o

8730797421_d4c4dd8043_o

Skirt Fabric: Italian Tropical Wool in Coral Pink from NY Fashion Center

Blouse Fabric: White Stripe Eyelet Lace from Hart’s Fabric

Belt: Heavy cotton from my stash

Due to the last-minute nature of this project, I didn’t get buttons and buttonholes sewn on the back of the blouse so I used snap tape (which is a fabulous invention!). I’d like to go back and do those at some point, but I’m not convinced that I could do them up myself when I get dressed.

I found that the heel of my boots caught on the hem of my skirt quite badly, pulling out the 3″ hem I had painstakenly handsewn. *sigh* So I think next time I need to make an honest to goodness hem guard. Meanwhile, I need to go back and try to smooth over all those broken threads in my nice wool…
8730798721_74f5f9eb04_o

8731919834_074155c861_o

8730788605_2d3b2429c8_o

Much thanks to Jen Thompson of Festive Attyre for taking photos!

Image

Attempts at cleaning a parasol

28 Apr

Attempts at cleaning a parasol

I finally found a good use for the huge garden tub in my bathroom.

I neglected to get a photo of the first one I cleaned, but this one is proving to be a bit more stubborn. I don’t want to let it soak too long or the wood will warp. What worked pretty well with the first one was to make a paste out of Oxyclean, rub it in, let it sit for a while and then rinse it in a shower. I was hoping to keep things a bit more contained this time because it got a little messy, but I think I’m going to have to resort back to plan A and see if I can get it a little cleaner.